The Whole Soy Story - by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN
The Whole Soy Story
By Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN
480 pages - Hardcover
The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
The book that tells the truth about soy that scientists know, that you
need to know, and that the soy industry has tried to suppress.
What others are saying about this blockbuster book:
Women should be more afraid of the marketing of soy products than using low dose bio-identical hormones. Kaayla Daniel does a thorough job in presenting the risk factors associated with high dose supplements and soy food products. No woman should take this book lightly, especially if she is interested in maintaining her health
Larrian Gillespie MD author of The Menopause Diet, and The Gladiator Diet
Dr. Kaayla T. Daniel has provided the reader with the most comprehensive review/evaluation of the soy story ever to exist. This is a 'must read' for the intelligent and concerned consumer of food for themselves and especially for their children and grandchildren. Mary G. Enig, PhD, FACN author ofKnow Your Fats: The Complete Primer For Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholestrtol.
Kaayla Daniel exposes soy for what it is, a substance that, when processed, packaged, and marketed by unscrupulous companies --not to mention over-consumed by the public -- becomes a hormone-disrupting drug capable of causing a host of health problems, including thyroid conditions. In "THE WHOLE SOY STORY," Kaayla Daniel dismantles the marketing mythology that sells soy as a health food, replacing it with the fascinating, well-researched, and fully referenced truth about soy's very real health dangers. Mary J. Shomon - Thyroid patient advocate, Author of the bestseller - Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
Anyone in America who is interested in safe, healthy nutrition must come to terms with Kaayla T. Daniel's THE WHOLE SOY STORY. This book is a gauntlet thrown at the feet of the soy industry, whose reputation often seems based as much on self-promotion as science. Well-written, authoritative, and accessible to the layperson, this is science writing at its best. Larry Dossey, MD, Author of Healing Beyond The Body, Reinventing Medicine, and Healing Words
A trailblazing work. A must read for anyone who wants to properly nourish themselves and their families. Sally Fallon, president of The Weston A. Price Foundation
ABOUT THE WHOLE SOY STORY
The Whole Soy Story blows the lid off nutritional dogma
- Soy is NOT a miracle food.
- Soy is NOT the answer to world hunger.
- Soy is NOT a disease-preventive panacea
The Whole Soy Storytells the whole truth about soy.
- The book that is all fact and no fiction.
- The book that will change your diet and may save your life.
For more than a decade, Americans have been fed a steady diet of positive soy news. Newspapers and magazine editors have run articles with headlines such as "The Joy of Soy" and "The Bean Supreme," uncritically published news releases from major soy companies, and unquestioningly accepted the recommendations of many "natural health care experts" who claim that soy foods might prevent disease and retard aging.
Lost in the hoopla has been the WHOLE SOY STORY
- Not all types of soy foods are good for us
- Even good soy products must be eaten in appropriate quantities
- Dozens of respected scientists have issued warnings stating that the possible benefits eating soy should be weighed against proven risks.
In fact, hundreds of epidemiological, clinical and laboratory studies link soy to malnutrition, digestive distress, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders, immune system breakdown, and even heart disease and cancer. Infants on soy formula, vegetarians who favor soy as their main source of protein and adults self-medicating with soy to prevent cancer, heart disease or relieve menopausal symptoms are especially at risk.
The Whole Soy Story presents and interprets the often contradictory evidence on soy and disease to determine what studies are valid, which justify hope, which are mere hype - and why.
Do YOU need to read The Whole Soy Story?
- YES! If you are one of the two hundred million Americans who is eating soy foods whether you like it or not. Soy constitutesa huge but hidden part of the American diet. Soy oil is the key ingredient in supermarket margarines and the added fat found in supermarket brands of packaged cookies, crackers and other baked goods. Soy proteins extend the value of more than 60 percent of hamburger patties, spaghetti sauces, baked goods and other readymade supermarket products. It's even a key ingredient in some canned tuna!
- YES!If you are a concerned parent who wants to know whether soy formula is good for your infants and whether soy foods are good for your children. Should you switch from dairy products to soy milk and soy cheese, as many popular health writers suggest? Or are soy foods so dangerous for babies and children that they should be available by prescription only, as the Weston A. Price Foundation and a group of concerned citizens in New Zealand allege?
- YES!If you are a homemaker or dietitian who thinks the price is right but wonder how the bean supreme stacks up against meat nutritionally.
- YES!If you are a vegetarian who is not enjoying radiant good health and have begun questioning whether the meat without a bone is as good at taking care of their nutritional needs.
- YES!If you are one of the millions of Americans at risk for cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis and painful menopausal symptoms who wonder if it is true that soy might offer protection.
- YES!If you are one of millions of people afflicted with those diseases who wonder if soy might offer a cure.
- YES!If you are one of the millions of people suffering from diagnosed or as yet undiagnosed thyroid disease who fears that soy might be the cause.
- YESIf you are a baby boomer who has heard that soy is the dietary fountain of youth.
- YES If you are concerned about the environment and you are alarmed by the growing numbers of estrogens and estrogen mimickers in the environment and have begun to wonder about the phytoestrogens in soy.
The Whole Soy Story
Table of Contents
PART ONE: A SHORT HISTORY OF SOY
Chapter 1: Soy in the East
Chapter 2: Soy Goes West
Chapter 3: Ploy of Soy
PART TWO: TYPES OF SOY
Chapter 4: Green Pods, Yellow Beans and Black Eyes
Chapter 5: The Good Old Soys: Soybeans with Culture
Chapter 6: Not Milk and UnCheese: Udder Alternatives
Chapter 7: All American Soy: First Generation Soybean Products
Chapter 8: All American Soy: Second Generation Soy Products
Chapter 9: Soy Oil and Margarine: Fat of the Land
Chapter 10: Soy Lecithin: Sludge to Profit
Chapter 11: Not Trusting the Process
Chapter 12: Formula for Disaster
PART THREE: MACRONUTRIENTS IN SOYBEANS
Chapter 13: Soy Protein: The Inside Scoop
Chapter 14: Soy Fat: Shortening Life
Chapter 15: Soy Carbohydrate: The Flatulence Factor
PART FOUR: ANTINUTRIENTS IN SOYBEANS
Chapter 16: Protease Inhibitors: Tryping Up Soy
Chapter 17: Phytates: Ties that Bind
Chapter 18: Lectins: Glutins for Punishment
Chapter 19: Saponins: Soap in Your Mouth
Chapter 20: Oxalates: Casting Stones
PART FIVE: SOY AND HEAVY METAL TOXICITY
Chapter 21: Manganese Toxicity: ADD-ing It Up
Chapter 22: Fluoride Toxicity: Dental and Mental Fluorosis
Chapter 23: Aluminum Toxicity: Foil-ing Health
PART SIX: SOY ALLERGENS: SHOCK OF THE NEW
Chapter 24: The Rise in Soy Allergies
Chapter 25: The Soy-Free Challenge
PART SEVEN: SOY ESTROGENS: WREAKING HORMONE HAVOC
Chapter 26: Phytoestrogens: Food's Fifth Column
Chapter 27: Soy and the Thyroid: A Pain in the Neck
Chapter 28: Soy Infant Formula: Birth Control for Baby?
Chapter 29: Soy and the Reproductive System: Breeding Discontent
Chapter 30: Soy and Cancer: High Hopes and Hype
*FREE shipping for Media Mail rate when you add another non-book product to your order. This offer applies to shipping addresses in the lower 48 United States and the $19.00 minimum order amount must be met.